[Magdalen] Cruz on Trump

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:09:27 UTC 2016

The State of New York allows employees time needed to get to the polling
place and cast a ballot if they need it. I think that's a reasonable
alternative to shutting down.

Also, while we are concerned that so few people actually use their
opportunity to vote, I see no reason why making election day a national
holiday will increase attendance at the polls.  A lot of folks express the
view that it makes no difference, and then I'm sure there are a lot of
folks who are just, "I guess things are okay." These folks won't go vote. I
suppose if you paid them twenty dollars to vote, that might make a
significant difference.

I have not lately heard about folks who offer to drive folks from their
party to the polling places. It used to be a big thing. Is it still going
on? It was supposedly offered by some party officials as a means of helping
the older voter to get to the polling place and back home.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford