[Magdalen] Heat: We Did It!!!

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 03:13:03 UTC 2016

When we were touring in southern Portugal and Spain, the temperature was in
the 90s, and the skies were quite clear, so we had relatively continuous
direct sun. Boy, did we ever seek out the shade. One day, we were at
Sagres, Portugal, and it must have been pretty hot. What's more, most of
the area toward the southernmost tip is just open flat terrain. Those of us
who decided to walk out to the tip had about a two mile walk in constant
direct sun. For some great pictures, do google images and input Sagres
Portugal. The peninsula was one huge fortification, but the only needed
fortified wall was across the narrow spit of land that joined the fort to
the mainland. It is all a couple hundred feet above the sea. There's a nice
beach just to the west. We didn't go down there, but it's obvious that
there's a road to get in. The whole coastline is severely elevated above
sea level. Spectacular scenery.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford