[Magdalen] Down, or busy?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:48:23 UTC 2016

Just got home through the rain, from my Wednesday evening church
duties. Evening Prayer officiant and Mass server.

Odd juxtaposition of observances this evening. Our parish kalendar
keeps the feast of St. Wenceslas today, so both Masses today observed
that. Tomorrow is our patronal feast of St. Michael the Archangel, so
as officiant I felt the almost-hidden optional Eve of St. Michael and
All Angels provision should be used and the eve kept (there are some
holy days that have an explicit "Eve of..." provision and then some
like John the Baptist and St. Michael who have two sets of Evening
Prayer psalms and lessons...they're meant for the observance of a
First and Second Evensong of the feast...by Evensong I mean Evening
Prayer, whether said or sung). I figure Howard Galley's "The Prayer
Book Office" is as official an office book as we have, and that's how
he deals with it.

So we have Evening Prayer at 6:10 looking forward to the feast day,
and then at 6:30 we have St. Wenceslaus, keeping the day now ending.

A previous rector didn't like when that happened; I suppose he would
have had us keep the ferial office rather than an eve. I think the
patronal feast should have an eve, so it did.

I gave a much briefer explanation to the priest-in-charge as he
arrived for Evening Prayer. He quickly thanked me for letting him
know. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA