[Magdalen] Easter Vigil.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 8 02:58:31 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----

St Bart's is doing the Vigil at 6AM here in Atlanta with a male choir doing some lovely music and then the big shebang is at 10:30 with strumpets and drums (g)

Joe  At the Melkite Church we do the Holy Saturday Liturgy at 10AM it is very similar to the Easter Vigil but there are particularities that you won't see any other time, such as the changing of the colors from dark to bright, ringing of the bells during the Canticle of the Three Children, procession of Triumph before the Gospel with the priest strewing laurel leaves around the church and Let All Mortal Flesh is the proper Cherubikon. The liturgy is celebrated on the epiptaphios (Anaphora of St. Basil)  We used to do that service at 3:30 PM at Christ the Redeemer. It is technically Vespers with the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil.

The monks of New Skete do the Great Vespers with some of the special ceremonies but Pascha is at Midnight.

At St. JOhn's it is at 10:30 with the Liturgy beginning 11 ish and finishing by 1AM and then they repeat the service at 10am the Easter Service (Paschal Matins) is called the Hajme or Rush and makes a great deal of psalm 24  and is based on one of the apocryphal Gospels whch described the descent in to Hades and Jesus releasing and raising up the the Old Testament
saints