[Magdalen] RIP Dorothy Mengering, 95.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:30:39 UTC 2017

You are absolutely right, of course, but I was sad when Mom died, one month
into her one-hundredth year of life. She had serious mobility issues, and
her memory was not good, but Mom was still Mom, and it meant the loss of
the last link to that entire generation, and I was sad, even though for Mom
it was a terrific release from her earthly trials.

It's a matter of attitude, to a large extent. I still remember a scene from
Northern Exposure when the bar owner, Holling Vancouer, is talking
wistfully about his relationship with his live-in girlfriend, Shelley.
Holling has often observed how the Vancouers are notoriously long-lived.
He's about sixty and she's about twenty, and in the course of the
conversation, he makes a sad reference to that day "When I have to bury
Shelley."  He did it so deadpan, it took a minute for the "wait, what?"
response.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford