[Magdalen] RIP Dorothy Mengering, 95.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Apr 13 13:26:36 UTC 2017

In a message dated 4/13/2017 1:07:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

>>>I saw one headline about her death under the banner,  "Letterman  Endures
Great Tragedy."  Actually, what a long,  wonderful life for this lady,  and
her life to 95 should be looked  upon as a triumph and blessing  rather
than a great tragedy  IMHO.<<<

Said banner is, of course, a bit over the top.   A much-beloved lady
reaches the venerable age of 95, and her death is a  "tragedy"?  Well, one must
consider how old Dave is, and how long he's  had that wonderful lady in his
life.  Whenever "my Mom, Dorothy!", Dave's  "Special Correspondent" on the
field, was featured, Anna and I would whoop and  holler, we thought her so
great.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I stuck a foot in my mouth once when I sang in the local Procathedral
Choir.  A soprano had lost her 97 year old grandmother, and there  was
much mourning and discussion of her death by choir
members for several weeks.

Finally, I interjected that I had never had the opportunity to know ANY  of
my grandparents since they all died in the 1920's before I was born,  and
that the soprano's  family should rejoice in this grandma's long  life.

Even after these weeks of mourning, this message was not what the  soprano
wanted to hear, and I was urged to apologize to her.  I didn't.   At least
the
wailing over her death ceased!

David S.