[Magdalen] Interesting perspective on BCP revision

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 26 22:19:24 UTC 2017

If you look at the preface to the 1662 you will find that the revisers
recognized the need for periodic revision because words change their
meaning (or drop out of use) over time. More recent revisions have
recognized that we now have congregations that (at least for the most
part) can read. Likewise we can see the value of reading from the Old
Testament (partocularly important now that the Eucharist is often the
only element in people's liturgical diet. Various other liturgical
changes reflect a more balanced understanding of what the Church should
be like, somewhere that priest and people work together in the Church's
mission and ministry rather than the parson doing it all.

Roger, who is not particularly looking forward to a couple of Sundays
where I will be presiding at 1662 Eucharists as the main Sunday service
in that church. I find it very priest-heavy with the congregation
basically sitting there as recipients.