[Magdalen] Taking care of our neighbors in the yard

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 17:47:41 UTC 2017

In a message dated 4/28/2017 1:21:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

and  while I was there I noticed a black snake  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Snakes of all stripes loved it when I would prop open the
doors of my little 14' x 16' greenhouse back in Wisconsin.
The floor was concrete slabs over dirt, and it warmed in sun
and that attracted them.  Also the voles that lived in  the soil under
the concrete were probably an attraction for the snakes.

There are several rather large (3' to 4') snakes in MN and WI
and they all superficially look like rattle snakes.  They can be
quite frightening, even though they are harmless.

Fortunately, I had no rattlers, but my veterinarian who lived
in a home perched on a south facing cliff overlooking the
Chippewa River Valley a mile away, had lots of them, and kept a
supply of antivenom handy in his refrigerator.

The common garter snakes are valuable for keeping the insects
to a minimum.

David S.