[Magdalen] More weather

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 13:24:44 UTC 2017

Very warm in this corner or northern Virginia yesterday, promising to be so
today to too before it rains and cools down somewhat next week. If my
greenhouse lady wasn't a devout Mennonite who closes on Sunday, I'd nip
over for some more plants, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I got
herbs into their pots on the deck Friday, and they look very happy. My mint
plants overwintered quite well in their pot, and I'll put some flowers in
among them. I've decided to put some lettuce in a pot up there where we can
enjoy it for a couple of months at least--I've learned that romaine, among
others, is "cut and come again" if done that way. Arlene (my greenhouse
lady) also suggested cherry tomatoes in a hanging basket, although she
doesn't have any ready yet. She's amazing...I think she must have been born
with ten green thumbs. Her business is a family operation which employs
(currently) her sister, her mom, and a niece who has Down's syndrome. It's
her operation; her husband does something else. Somehow they have managed
to send six kids through the local private Mennonite school and to college
(some have or are getting advanced degrees) and the last of them, twin
boys, are now halfway through. BTW, these are conservative Mennonites; she
wears the "uniform dress" and a cap. I don't know how conservative the kids
are, but I'm betting they are still Mennonite. Probably modern. Those
values seem to stick.