[Magdalen] More weather

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 18:57:36 UTC 2017

I'm a huge fan of the "self-watering" variety of pot that has a reservoir
in the bottom so you don't have to water quite as often, also of the large
ceramic style, hard to move but good at retaining water. My mint is all in
one enormous ceramic pot on my upstairs deck...3 varieties: spearmint,
apple mint and peppermint, plus lemon balm (melissa). As I said, when it
gets too rowdy, I just dig up a chunk of it and throw it overboard where it
can take its chances in the yard. Or not. Dang stuff roots more often than
not, whether you dig a hole for it or don't. Sometimes I do, and then it
smells real nice when S/O mows. The flowers (annuals) do okay in there. I
usually put in something already started  that's vigorous, like
pelargoniums. zinnias or pentas. I like having butterflies come to visit my
deck.