[Magdalen] Ginny Wilder called to St. Anne's, Winston Salem

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 7 04:15:14 UTC 2017

As I join in the good wishes for Ginny in her new call I want to respond
to Mike in his wondering about different professions. Off the top of my
head I can think of two inter-related big differences. One is the
unreasonable expectations people can have of a priest, and the
associated assumption of as freedom to criticise when the priest does
something they personally do not like. The other is that other
occupations generally have set hours of being on duty or on call.
Priests are expected to be able to respond to an emergency or other call
24/7 and to do so cheerfully and willingly.

The other occupations Mike lists are things that people do rather than
things they are. Priesthood is not an occupation you can put down and
hand over responsibility to someone else (or in the case of an artist
something to set aside for a while or tear up if it isn't going right).
It is about personal relationships with other people and with God.

In case you're wondering while I'm writing before dawn over here it's
because I'm about to shut down the computer and head for the airport on
the way to Norway. The driving will be rather different from what I have
experienced before, and especially from the USA. I will have my notebook
computer with me but I won't be using it as much as I do at home.

Roger