[Magdalen] Quiet

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:27:26 UTC 2017

Here on the north shore of Lake Ontario I'm a long way north of the
hurricane that CNN is keeping me very well aware of.  Keep your powder
dry down there in Texas!!!!  Seriously, it sounds apolcalyptic.  Hope
the reality won't be.

I'm busy in Wardenland, including manning the office at least one day a
week and dealing with related matters. I'm outta here early tomorrow,
heading to Muskoka for an overnight involving the Marion Singers.  We're
gathering at Christ Church, Windermere, for a rehearsal and BBQ tomorrow
afternoon and then heading off to our billets.  Sunday morning we will
sing before, during, and after Mass and I'll be preaching as I do there
once a year.  I'd love to have an extra day or two with my friend
Robert+ , but the stupid cats need meals and my cat sitting friend is
already away for this weekend only, wouldn't you know? Ach, Tipper just
yacked up her meal --  she wolfs down meals without chewing (not tooth
problems) and this happens periodically.  Why can't she chow down
sensibly like Archie?!  That's why I can't just leave food for X days.
She would die after eating it all in the first five gorging minutes,
both portions!

Be assured, I read every word that comes down the Pub pipeline, but the
day to day minutia of my life is hardly rivetting in return.  Watched
the eclipse on CNN.  I drive to Campbellford weekly to give Jim some
non-service-personnel chatter.  He has had three hits of chemo, another
one coming,  and other than needing lots of naps and his hair  falling
out all at once, he's taking it well (still NO medical information,
though).  I help at the Food Bank once a week.  This summer Fr. Randy
has instituted a twice-a-week  hour and a half period of quiet in the
church, suitable for prayer, meditation, or whatever spiritual practice
you fancy .  We finish with Compline and sing Salve Regina.  With
morning prayer three mornings a week and the weekly mass,  the church is
where I can be found about 18 hours a day!  We're becoming positively
monastic for those who are paying attention! Those who may know him
won't be surprised!

This being Friday, I shall go to The Social for a teatime bevvie.  I'm
there every Monday 7-9 a.m. to help with the FREE breakfast we serve to
any and all comers, as few as five and as many as 27.  This being a
small town, the owner was a warden at my church about 15 yrs ago.  I'm
gradually getting to know yet another layer of the Port Hope citizenry -
the regulars at The Social are quite artsy.  The food is great, too,
local produce and wine and craft beers.

Marion, a pilgrim   ... today my sail I lift ....