[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 15:54:02 UTC 2017

In a message dated 8/29/2017 9:05:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gingawilder at gmail.com writes:

Charlestonians do not speak 'Southern', especially the kind of
southern  characterized in movies and  television.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fascinating, Ginga.  The rhotic element continues to be the most
surprising to me. Charlestonians do pronounce their "r"s.

Supposedly, the 19th century conversion of upper class English
to non-rhotic is thought to have influenced especially the ports  along
the East Coast USA to be non-rhotic as well.  This tendency  missed
Philadelphia, and apparently Charleston.

Hollywood does play up regional accents for better or worse.   Such
highlighting of my own regional Upper Midwestern USA accent
occurs in the original movie, "Fargo," and to some extent in the
television series.

David S.