[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 19:59:53 UTC 2017

David, even I say 'pahk' and 'cah' and 'gah-bidg can'.  Most of us who have
lived here all of our lives in families who have done so as well, convert
the 'ar' to 'ah'.  There there is hotel, police, and house (vowels are
nearly swallowed in house).  When John was finishing his commitment to the
US Army after Viet Nam, he was stationed in Colorado.  I was asked several
times if I was English.  Mostly, the dialect/brogue is lost these days.
Neither John (whose family moved here in the 1940s) nor any of our children
speak Charlestonese.

Ginga