[Magdalen] Charleston Receipt.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 19:43:05 UTC 2017

Some in the eastern United States (not sure which region; I'm thinking some
parts of NYC and maybe New Jersey) seem to have lost the schwa (unaccented
vowel) in words like Boston and Washington, pronounced Bostin and
Washingtin. As though the i were now the default for an unaccented vowel.
Grates on my consciousness. Also Jasin for Jason.

But here in Chicago there's plenty that grates: melk for milk, Ellenoy for
Illinois...

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:33 AM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:

> In New England those two words are pronounced slightly differently.
> You can actually hear the difference.
>
> Callus = kal-liss
> Callous = kal-luss
>
> --