[Magdalen] Houston

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 04:14:07 UTC 2017

In a message dated 8/29/2017 10:32:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu writes:

Watching  coverage of the flooding  >>>>>>>>>>>>>

I notice that the elevation of Houston is listed as something like
9 feet above sea level.  The City of Houston is 50 miles north
of the Gulf, and yet has one of the busiest ports in the USA because
of the Houston Ship Canal. an artificially dredged  bayou from the
Galveston Bay.

The Canal is at sea level, and thus I can't understand why water
doesn't exit quickly from flooded Houston into the sea via this  Canal.

I guess I'd be an Army Engineering  dropout.

David S. - remembering that Houston Street in Manhattan is
                   pronounced How-ston, not Hyu-ston.