[Magdalen] Houston

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 30 12:23:51 UTC 2017

The problem is the sheer volume of water that has to be dispersed. I
read that there has been something like 6 cubic miles of water dumped on
Houston. First it has to be drained into the bayou in the first place
using pipes that are not up to transporting that volume of water that
quickly. Given that the Canal is about a tenth of a mile wide and 9 feet
is about 1/587 mile rounding to 1/600 you get a cross-sectional area of
about 1/6,000 square miles if you raised the water level by 9 feet.  6
cubic miles would mean 36,000 miles of water at that cross-section. I
don't know how fast a stream the canal could take given the bends and
islands in it, which would produce turbulence and so slow the flow, but
if you assume an improbably high 36 mph that would take 1,000 hours or 6
weeks to clear.

Some of the water will doubtless find other routes to the sea but it
will still take some time to shift such an immense volume of water.

Roger