[Magdalen] Ruckus at U. Virginia

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:42:57 UTC 2017

my home town:

http://www.northjersey.com/story/opinion/columnists/
bruce-lowry/2017/08/26/lowry-son-souths-lesson-new-england/603173001/

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/11/1448687/-Reclaiming-Sacred-Ground-Portsmouth-s-African-Burying-Ground-Memorial-Park

I went to the Whipple School (kindergarten thru 6th grade)
and every year in our first school assembly we acted out this story:

William Whipple, local man and signer of the Declaration of Independence,
owned a slave named Prince.
As the Revolutionary War began,
he gave the instruction
"Prince, pack my bags."
"Where are we going, sir?"
"We're going to fight for our freedom!"
"Sir, I have no freedom to fight for."
Dramatic pause.
"You're right, and hereby emancipated.
Come, let's fight for our freedom together."
-M

On Thursday, August 31, 2017, <sally.davies at gmail.com