[Magdalen] Ruckus at U. Virginia

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:29:05 UTC 2017

And another story from Portsmouth:

Ona Judge had been owned by Martha Custis,
and had lived in New York and Philadelphia with the Washingtons.
Perhaps she developed a taste for city life.
In any case, when told they'd be moving back to Mount Vernon,
she ran away.
Wound up in Portsmouth.
Married a fisherman named Staines,

In the fullness of time,
Martha Custis' nephew was visiting our little city.
As a dinner guest of Governor Langdon,
he said one of the things he meant to do while in the area
was to kidnap Mrs. Staines and return her to Virginia.

Governor Langdon quickly and quietly sent word to her,
advising her to hide away until the danger passed.

Thanks, Mom & Grammy and all my teachers,
for sharing these stories of wisdom and justice and mercy and hope.
-M