[Magdalen] Interesting review, new New Testament translationd

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 14:42:22 UTC 2017

Hm. I was a psych major and seldom spent time with Descartes or James. We
read Dollard and Miller, not Skinner, although I did read Walden 2 on my
own time. Like Freud, Skinner's a guy credited with starting stuff, but his
work has been eclipsed by his students and those who have followed.

A BS or BA in psych is kind of a preliminary to see if the person likes the
general ideas of studying in the field. I still find my work in perception
has served me well. We had a fantastic TA who loved doing what he did, and
so we learned a lot more than we needed to to meet the specs. In general, a
psych major doesn't really prepare you for much of anything, and I don't
think anyone expected it to.  A college near me offers a master level psych
program, which gives some more entry-level training, but you really can't
use the degree for much unless you like to be an assistant to a
fresh-minted Ph.D. for little bucks or prestige.  When I started back in
1975 when dinosaurs walked the earth, an MA in psych meant something and a
person could get terrific experience preparatory to going back to get the
REAL degree, the Ph.D. Of course, back then, I had a full counseling
caseload I saw for psychotherapy two or three times a week. Those days are
gone forever (which is a good thing, actually!!)

The thrust of any degree is determined by the philosophy of the institution
crafting the degree.  Some schools try to be eclectic, but usually they
have a fairly strong slant toward a particular bias.  Pitt was in those
days committed to behaviorism. No idea what it's doing today. My graduate
program, however, was very eclectic and yet very committed to non-directive
counseling, so my approach tended to be a mix of Glasser, Rogers and
Columbo ("Ya know, this all makes a lotta sense, but there's  this one
thing that I jist can't figger out. Help me understand this...")

And why not a lot of attention to Bandura, who actually laid the
foundations?

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford