[Magdalen] Words

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 20:06:36 UTC 2017

True. Free speech goes back to "Congress shall make no law..." It doesn't
mean someone can't tell someone not to say something; it also doesn't mean
a speaker can be shouted down or drowned out while trying to speak. A
right-wing radio chat-show host complained about supposed free-speech
rights violations when a network canceled her show. The right doesn't
apply. The government can't prevent her (or anyone) from speaking (with
exceptions for national security, fire-in-a-crowded-theater situations,
etc.), but an employer can tell an employee not to say stuff.

I'm not really allowed to speak for DXC Technology; if a reporter asked me
about the company, I'd have to refer the reporter to the company's PR
department. No free-speech issue there.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA