[Magdalen] Mike Logsdon....or other kimchi makers

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 18:36:02 UTC 2017

This is the recipe I have, but I don't plan to use the sesame seeds, and if
I do regular cabbage I'd slice it differently also. I'm thinking, since I
have Korean chili powder, I would use that instead of Sriracha also.

QUICK KIMCHI

Ingredients

   - 1 napa cabbage
   - 1 tbsp salt (and ¼ cup salt for marinating)
   - 5 cloves garlic
   - 1 inch fresh ginger
   - ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
   - 3 tbsp fish sauce
   - 2 tbsp sugar
   - 2 tbsp Sriracha
   - 2 tbsp sesame seeds

Steps

   1. Slice the cabbage lengthwise into 8 pieces and slice off the rough
   stems. Place in a large bowl. Bring 5 cups water to a boil and add the ¼
   cup salt. Allow 1 min. to cook until the salt has dissolved. Pour over the
   cabbage and let sit for 30 min. Drain the cabbage and rinse under cold
   running water. Drain well.
   2. Put the garlic, ginger, vinegar, fish sauce and remaining salt in the
   bowl of a small food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Add the
   sugar, paprika, Sriracha, and sesame seeds and mix into a thick marinade.
   3. Cover the cabbage with the marinade, making sure every strip is
   covered.
   4. Spoon the kimchi into a sealable jar and let marinate at least 3
   hours in the refrigerator.