[Magdalen] P.S. Re: Update

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 12:25:52 UTC 2017

Same here, Jay.   Our little church of 45 families has several committees
that fall under parish life header.  We have a pastoral care committee that
keeps the priest updated on who is sick.  (It does not work unless someone
from the person's family lets the church know.)  We have a visitation
committee that visits families, IFF they desire.  A committee member calls
them to inquire.  And, we also have a meals committee.  The chair of that
or another appointed person asks if meals would be helpful.  Usually once
or twice weekly a meal is taken.  We have 18 people to cook.  The cook
chair and the family make a monthly schedule that is published to the
cooks.  Cooks choose a convenient day to prepare a meal.  John and I took a
meal to a couple this week - the husband is having chemotherapy.  We also
have licensed lay Eucharistic Visitors who take communion when asked to
those who cannot come to church.  All of these ministries give face to face
contact for sick or homebound parishioners with caring people from their
church.  This arrangements requires someone in the parish thinking of how
to care as the body of Christ for people with pastoral needs, plus people
with leadership gifts to chair the teams, and commitment from those who
will be the hands, feet, heart of Christ who cook a mean, deliver a meal,
make the phone call, administer the Eucharist, etc.  In order to
participate in these ministries, all parishioners must be trained in how to
visit the sick.  Not every individual has gifts to do pastoral
care....their gifts can be used in this system, even if they won't do
personal contact.

One thing I know about churches that don't have something like the above
organized is that pastoral needs of parishioners fall through very large
cracks.  And, for the person who is sick, expectations that the church will
rise to our need for pastoral care and conversation or whatever that need
may be -- well, our personal expectations can be a problem.  Letting the
priest or lay pastor know of our need for personal contact is essential.
Yeah, it is hard to ask for help, very hard.  But, asking for specific help
is a first step in pastoral in a church knowing of a need.  Also essential
for the church's response, if a parishioner says they do not need pastoral
contact from the church, let their 'no, thank you' be their no.  To visit
any way is abusive.

Maybe I sound like I am from alien territory, but most churches in the SC
lowcountry have organized pastoral care ministries.. With strong oversight,
they work lovingly.

Ginga