[Magdalen] Let us work together -- uh huh

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 12:43:42 UTC 2017

I have followed some of these discussions with interest, including the
letter last week that was signed by a number of respected mental health
authorities, and a detailed analysis published in the New York Review of
Books.

The one piece of behavioural evidence that intrigues me the most: a claim
was published that a comparison of Trump's use of language now to the
language he was recorded using on Youtube several years ago, shows a clear
decline in quality and quantity of, you know, things that do bad things,
that are lies, so bad, you know - words. .

So many bad words that he didn't say..so many vague fillers...and once an
idea is in his head, it perseverates regardless of feedback or actual fact,
such as the question of whether it rained on his inauguration speech or
whether the sun came out.

Etc.

Deteriorating language function and cognitive rigidity are symptomatic of
some forms of dementia. In the early stages cognitive losses can be
relatively subtle but over time, if this really is the problem, it will get
a whole lot worse.

The question then is whether the Trump people will act to protect their
country and the world (and for that matter Trump himself from further
humiliation), or whether they will bluff it out like Mugabe's wife - who
went on TV this weekend saying that the corpse of her husband could win an
election in Zimbabwe.

The first African President, indeed.

Sally D