[Magdalen] This is nuts

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 01:59:27 UTC 2017

Red-winged Blackbirds have arrived--about a month early! And I've got to go
out tomorrow and clean out all the bluebird boxes, because the birds are
already house-hunting!

Unfortunately, the three huge holly trees that are usually covered with
berries do not have a single berry this year--the first time that's
happened.  Something was off-kilter last spring; the flowers on the male
and female trees weren't open at the same time, and there were almost no
bees. I've been checking for signs of flower buds, but I can't tell yet if
there are any.  The sad thing is that this means I won't have the flock of
hundreds of robins arriving for about three days and stripping the trees of
berries. I look forward to that spectacle every spring!  Maybe next year...

--
Grace Cangialosi
Ruckersville, VA

*"Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great
love."*
*St. Teresa of Calcutta*