[Magdalen] The Grackles are back, the Grackles are back...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 15:16:14 UTC 2017

In a message dated 2/26/2017 9:21:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

There's  a single Great Blue Heron that lives on the pond next door. A few
weeks ago he  landed in one of my holly trees! By the time I got my camera,
he was  gone.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Though some of the Asian hollies do well here in NE Pennsylvania,
the American Holly trees only survive in the sheltered valleys.   There
are some beauties of the latter in Wilkes-Barre and Scranton down
in the Susquehanna Valley.  I suppose now that it is generally
warmer, it would be worth a try.  English Holly is simply too  tender
for our climate.

Great Blue Herons were common summer visitors to our lake in
the Upper Midwest, and the early riser, probably awakened by the
resident House Wrens, was often rewarded by seeing the herons
fishing just offshore in front of the cabin.

David S.