[Magdalen] so we're sitting by the pool

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Mon Feb 27 05:49:38 UTC 2017

As someone who lives with the slipstream of Loyalist history, I'm not sure I'd consider it a plus.

Nova Scotia had little Loyalist settlement.  The Loyalists mistrusted Nova Scotia, which had strong alliances with Massachusetts, and the Nova Scotians regarded the Loyalists as a bunch of whining wimps.  There was some Loyalist settlement in Shelburne, but mostly they fetched up in New Brunswick and Upper Canada (now Ontario), where they received land grants.  Gananoque, where I live, was founded by Loyalists.

I doubt if Loyalists fetched up in Newfoundland (too far and barely settled), and much of Lower Canada (Quebec) was already inhabited, French, and Roman Catholic.

Now, Scots, we gots.  Lots.

Molly

I sit awaiting Gail's correction.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain