[Magdalen] Mardi Gras.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:27:01 UTC 2017

My rector does the usual, denying that Sundays are not a part of Lent.

It's kind of sad, but I understand.  For the rector, the only time he sees
a lot of the people is Sunday morning, so it's a natural to want to observe
Lent on Sunday, the fact that Sundays are specifically not in Lent
notwithstanding.

If we don't observe Lent on Sunday morning, most people might never even
notice that it's Lent at all. Most people don't do the "giving up something
I enjoy just because it's Lent" schtick anymore.  I recall that there was
some awareness of how questionable it was even when I was growing up, and
the situation has not really changed, except a very few people (hello,
Forward Movement!) have said instead of torturing yourself by giving up
something you enjoy, why not do something extra to enhance your awareness
of why one might actually want to do something like sacrifice. But most
folks don't get it. And so we continue to have the amazing vanishing Lent.
Someone gave up smoking for Lent, was amazed at how clean his lungs were,
how much better he felt, and then he went back to the ugly habit at Easter.
What the heck is THE POINT??

Jonah just didn't get it that god didn't want his blind obedience unless
Jonah actually "got it."  The writer of Jonah was so savvy that, at the end
of the novella, you still don't know.  Did Jonah finally get it, or did he
stay in that old tired we're better than you stance?

God doesn't want you obedience; She wants your heart. Hard to see what's so
complicated about that. But so far, we've manged to muck it up with all
sorts of tormenting nonsense.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford