[Magdalen] Mardi Gras.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 16:52:29 UTC 2017

We just had our nice Belgian waffles along with
some tasty pepper bacon from Pennsylvania Dutch
country down near Lancaster.

It's a kind of Shrove Tuesday liturgy for us.

In eating this treat, we used some flavored syrup of the
IHOP label.  IHOP appears to be one of the few
remaining holdovers from the late 1950's and 1960's.

At least in the Upper Midwest, there was a mania for
pancake restaurants during this period, and Madison,
WI, seemed to have a pancake house of some sort
every other block then.  Minneapolis was not far behind.

Then it all faded through the late 1960's to be replaced
by a mini-plethora of creperies, especially the Magic
Pan restaurants.  These, too, faded.

Such are fads, and I suspect a lot of investors got
stung in these ventures.  Too bad, since I love
pancakes and crepes.

Who can resist the crepes of Brittany?  It's worth the
trip just to savor these gems.  I think they outclass
croissants for breakfast, and that's hard to do.

David S.