[Magdalen] Happy New Year.

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 07:53:21 UTC 2017

Happy New Year from a warm, peaceful Port Elizabeth on the Indian Ocean
coastline of South Africa.

We're just relaxing, resting after our late night and will soon be getting
ready to go and greet my Mom at her flat. Last night we walked - together
with the boys and one of their friends - down to the beachfront to join the
mass party and watch the fireworks go off from Shark Rock Pier.

It was a lovely sight - small compared to the magnificence of the world's
great cities but we could stand right underneath and watch it above our
heads, as the new year broke in brilliant hope and the old year slunk away
in clouds of smoke and ash blowing out to sea.

Next year all this too will be ash and smoke but what is faith for if we
cannot hold onto this one moment of glory?

The crowd was huge but relaxed and happy, no liquor being sold or allowed
(though I saw a few home-brought bottles), many families. PE does not know
how to party - Cape Town would have been rocked to its socks - but that's
how people are here, home and family are what rocks them and there were
many children and teens in the crowd.

I felt very safe...

Blessings to all at Magdalen Pub and may 2017 bring everything we are
hoping for.

Sally D