[Magdalen] Italian priest replaces Nativity scene after outcry over ‘burqa’ | Religion News Service

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:19:21 UTC 2017

It's in the Rule of St. Benedict, sort of, in ch. 38, "The Reader for
the Week," referring to the one who reads a book aloud during lunch
and dinner:

"Let there be complete silence. No whispering, no speaking--only the
reader's voice should be heard there. The brothers should be turn
serve one another's needs as they eat and drink, so that no one need
ask for anything. If, however, anything is required, it should be
requested by an audible signal of some kind rather than by speech."

I keep thinking he meant "inaudible." Is one supposed to cluck, or
chirp, or grunt? "When I meow, that means pass the fish?"

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA