[Magdalen] And speaking of the old days (re List)...

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Thu Jan 19 21:05:17 UTC 2017

On 1/19/17 1:17 PM, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> Is there anyone here who remembers the chat room?  Is the person(s) here who set it up?  It would have been between 1996 and 1998 inclusive (that I had direct knowledge of it).  I remember trying it a couple times, but my connection was so slow, my "ping" couldn't keep up.

It's still there, but I haven't seen anyone else from Anglican there for
a long time, even you, Bob.  Bonnie Kroll set it up, with help from
John-Mark Gilhousen, and it had several other "Owners" after Bonnie
quit.  I remember Doug Palmer ran it for a while, and quit pretty much
after 9/11/2001.  He's the main computer guy for the Federal Court
System in Brooklyn, and after 911 (you may remember the general chaos in
New York for several years) just didn't have time.   Our Charlie pretty
much destroyed it, so far as Anglicani were concerned, coming on drunk
every night, and taking out his hostility verbally on everyone there. We
had some pretty good crowds back then.  Not any more. It's pretty empty
now.  I have the "Owner" position now, and it's under the 24/7 care of a
Berkeley (CA) Episcopalian op, whose DalNet "nick", or pseudonym, is
"non--".  He's never on the Lists, or doesn't appear to be.  Of course,
he's not actually at his keyboard 24/7, but he leaves his computer
system on, keeps an eye on the channel when he's home, and logs
everything. The occasional exception is when he gets disconnected while
he's not physically at home, so may not appear to be there for an hour
or more. I'm there for a couple of hours most nights, as "Sibyl", natch,
maybe four or five nights a week, for a variable amount of time, in the
neighborhood of midnight, Central Time.

It's most useful to use IRC software--there are a number of clients
available, notably MIRC for Windows, and ircle for Mac, but there are
many others, for, I think, all systems. To find out about the software
for your system, Google "IRC" or "Internet Relay Chat".  You can also
get to just one channel at a time using java from the DALnet homepage on
the web, and we're #Anglican on Dalnet.

https://www.dal.net/

--
Sibyl Smirl