[Magdalen] Congressional Inaugural "Sick-out".

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 20 00:40:44 UTC 2017

On 19/01/2017 22:02, Scott Knitter wrote:
> One thing I've recently (re-)learned: the president-elect becomes the
> president at noon on Jan. 20, whether the oath is being taken at that
> moment or not. The Constitution (in an amendment) makes the clock do
> the work, not the chief justice and president-elect.

I believe that if 20 January is a Sunday then they do the inauguration
privately and have the big show the next day. Of course you need to have
provision for the President taking office without being sworn in to cope
with situations where the President does not see out his term. Otherwise
you would have a time with no President. LBJ was presumably already
President when he was sworn in after JFK's assassination. I would giess
also there was a gap between Nixon's resignation becoming effective and
Ford being sworn in.

Roger