[Magdalen] Song of Mary

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:07:26 UTC 2017

We are exploring the possibility of dipping our toes into the area of
anglican chant at my new parish. It took me back to a time when I was
singing in our boys' choir. I suppose I was about twelve.  About that time,
a recording of a choir singing what was simply referred to as "the Song of
Mary" popped up on the radio, and proceeded to make the top ten for a
time.  It was immediately noted in my church that this setting is in our
hymnal, and indeed even today, william Crotch's setting is in the 1982. And
it is just as splendid as it ever was.
I looked on youtube, and, sure enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTCIuS46bU

proving you can find almost anything you want on youtube.

The recording was made by the choir of the University of Redlands,
Redlands, California.  It turns out the college was founded by Baptists.
Well, they were not the first, and surely will not be the last Baptists to
be fascinated by the beauty of anglican chant.

It's amazing how something will stay with you for decades.

One can use any text with anglican chant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2jwDcb9wI
although this does a bit overdo it....

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford