[Magdalen] Song of Mary

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 16:30:00 UTC 2017

In a message dated 1/20/2017 11:08:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

We are  exploring the possibility of dipping our toes into the area of
anglican  chant at my new parish. It took me back to a time when I was
singing in our  boys' choir. I suppose I was about twelve.  About that time,
a  recording of a choir singing what was simply referred to as "the Song  of
Mary" popped up on the radio, and proceeded to make the top ten for  a
time.  It was immediately noted in my church that this setting is in  our
hymnal, and indeed even today, william Crotch's setting is in the 1982.  And
it is just as splendid as it ever was.
I looked on youtube, and,  sure  enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTCIuS46bU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for this ravishing recording.  It brought tears to my  eyes.

The only comment on that exquisite version is the lack of  accompaniment,
which provides a substantial initial layer of musical interest and is
routine
for Anglican Chant.

If the Mag is to be sung in the context of (Solemn) Evansong, it  requires
that the high altar be incensed.  I was surprised on one occasion  when
the local Procathedral Choir sang Evensong, to see the parish Rector
appear with the Byzantine Rite thurible with tinkling attached bells  to
incense the altar.  He was almost militantly low-church, but he  came
through for Mary.

Incidentally, at the great "Mecca's" of plainchant, Solesmes and
Fontgombault, plainchant is ordinarily accompanied, as well.

David S.