[Magdalen] Song of Mary

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 19:04:18 UTC 2017

Re:  Accompaniment of chant.

Solesmes has essentially recorded the entire Liber Usualis of  plainchant,
and there isn't any accompaniment.  I sang the Latin Mass for years  in
an always acapella group.  Imagine my surprise when a retiring
O/C of the SSPX gave me a 10 volume set of Solesmes accompaniments
for the Graduale Romanum.

Here was that holy of holy places responsible for the modern revival  of
plainchant not only approving accompaniment of chant, but publishing
keyboard accompaniments themselves.

It turns out that Solesmes only goes acapella for recordings.   Otherwise
the monks sing with organ accompaniment.  At Fontgombault, chant
is always accompanied.  When I've worshipped the Monastic  Offices
with the Benedictines at Ettal near Oberammergau, the chant is
always accompanied.

And as to Anglican Chant, you really haven't understood its  special
qualities until you've heard a trained Anglican choir with a good
organist illuminating the text.

I don't think congregations routinely sing Anglican (or plain) Chant
very well, and except for short responsorials, I dislike chant being
stuck in front of a congregation with the expectation they  will sing it.
Just IMHO, of course.   YMMV.

David S.

David S.