[Magdalen] Song of Mary

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 21:28:52 UTC 2017

I came to the Episcopal Church in the final few years of the
alternation of Holy Eucharist with Morning Prayer on Sundays.
Typically MP was 2nd and 4th Sundays in many parishes in the Diocese
of Michigan. I would sometimes visit Christ Church Cranbrook in
Bloomfield Hills (to be honest, I was as impressed by the
upper-crustness of it as by the music...mea maxima culpa) and the
highlight for me was the Te Deum at Morning Prayer, with the
Monk-and-Croft setting (613-617-613). I remember the congregational
singing being robust. Most sang the top line, similarly to singing the
melody of a hymn; here and there I heard other parts being sung.

All Saints', East Lansing, alternated MP with Eucharist like this, and
I think we used similar chants, but by then I came to appreciate the
people of the parish and had gotten over the moneyed splendor I had
experienced at CCC (but met some great people there, too). All Saints'
was (is) practically Cistercian in its relative simplicity.

I remember the glee with which my first rector in Rochester, Mich.,
greeted the news that I had discovered Anglo-Catholic writings and
could really resonate with much of what I read there: "You have
converted well, my son!" (and then he confessed to me his 'closet
Anglo-Catholicism'.") I was sworn to secrecy. Rectors previous to him
had been called "Mister N." and he insisted on "Father Mike," and
considered that a victory. :)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA