[Magdalen] I've been watching

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 05:29:37 UTC 2017

I was reading these posts and asked my wife, "Why don't we visit the FDR
museum?"  That's where we spent the afternoon.

It has been a while since we were there.

It is quite a place.  They have divided it into several stages of his life,
and you walk through his life and go through the stages.

He really was a privileged youngster. One thing that came through, however,
was his interest in doing good.  He broke some stereotypes, picking Frances
Perkins for the Secretary of Labor. Perkins would use this position as a
stepping stone to winning the Golden Halo a few years later (okay, quite a
few years later).

We had a grand time, as we had seen some documentaries, and here we could
actually see the real thing they were reporting on.

FDR had a room in the museum which he used for a private study and they
keep it as he left it the last time he was in Hyde Park.

On another floor they have the desk FDR used when he was President. It was
the desk originally used by Herbert Hoover, and it stayed, along with all
the other furniture, in the White house from administration to
administration.  Harry Truman had always been in FDR's shadow, and he said
he just couldn't use the same desk FDR used, so it now sits behind
plexiglass.  You can touch objects on a touchscreen, and the object is
brought up so you can turn it around and there is an explanation of how it
worked. FDR loved gadgets and souvenir-type items.  His desk was always
covered with them.

There was a huge picture of FDR being sworn in and part of his speech was
playing.  It was a great way to spend the day. I suppose a lot of books are
going to be written about what is coming.  For now, I'm just thinking about
the neat stuff we saw, and the memories it stirred.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford