[Magdalen] Song of Mary

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:28:57 UTC 2017

I visited Kirk in the Hills several times as well. Even more than
Christ Church Cranbrook, the Kirk was a business-dress sort of place.
I think CCC was the parish of the governor at the time, and Roger
Smith (CEO of General Motors) and some other grand personages, and the
Kirk had another bunch of such folks. And ushers with white gloves in
the parking lot, guiding each driver to a space. And police blocking
Long Lake Road and directing traffic after each of the two services.
Superb operatic-style choir led by Glenn Miller, who is famous for
having one of the lowest bass voices anywhere (he's highly sought
after for recordings and sang with Vox, the group in Ann Arbor I
belonged to for a while).

The Cathedral Church of St Paul is doing well musically, with my
friend Jeremy David Tarrant in the organist/choirmaster role. Met him
when I was a (non-organist) AGO member and went on organ crawls of a
Saturday. When I was in Vox, we sang a couple of Evensongs there. And
Jeremy sang with us, either as tenor or as countertenor--can't
remember which. Jeremy played the inaugural concert of the refurbished
organ in my mom's church, St. Irenaeus', Rochester Hills. I would love
to have heard that...it isn't normally used for classic organ works,
at least not ones that people sit and listen to.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA