[Magdalen] how long have I been hanging around with you folks

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 05:21:02 UTC 2017

We were discussing shampoo and soap, and then after I thought that had been
addressed, all of a sudden we're talking about people running off with
spare rolls of TP?  I had not heard of this until I read it here, to be
very honest with you.

The small soap and shampoo are complimentary.  It is not uncommon for
guests to desire to shower daily, so not only do they use the complimentary
items, they sometimes need more.

The cost of the small shampoo and soap are covered in your bill.  The hotel
buys in bulk, and the cost per item isn't very great, so we are talking
about maybe a dollar, if that.

This discussion is getting to be like the folks who object to taxes paying
for food stamps (which account for a fraction of a percent), but they don't
think twice about the fact that we have twelve trident submarines and all
the killer subs assigned to protect them, and we obviously don't need.
It's vanishingly trivial.

If someone is so clueless that they are putting out shampoo, not accounting
for it in their business model and then get upset when people consume it --
well, that is a businessman who is destroying himself.  You can't make ends
meet if you literally don't know what the ends are to begin with, which
sounds like the situation of the b n b.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford