[Magdalen] Saturday Marches

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 05:05:53 UTC 2017

Totally with you here, Scott - I feel the same way. Words do have power of
their own and are not fully ours to do as we please!

Somewhere, I read a reference to research showing that curse words, which
all cultures seem to have, provide real psychological benefits - but only
when used at point of need, not randomly.

The theory goes that if we deploy the power of such words defensively
against a real injury or threat,  we can feel empowered/energised in a
helpful way and reduce stress. But if we use the words casually and
frequently, the sense of power and thus any possible benefit will be lost.

Michelle Obama said "when they go low we go high" and for me the power of
Saturday's marches was all about that, just a beautiful day. I don't think
that cursing Trump or anyone else from the podium added any value to the
overall message, though it may have felt cathartic for some.

As I said though, I did resent a Trump apologist patronisingly
"apologising" for Madonna on behalf of all Americans, even though I would
have preferred her to express herself differently and more considerately in
view of the large and diverse crowd and viewers on TV...though  In fact
IIRC I told him where to go out loud in a rather similar way :-)

Talking to the TV, first sign of losing one's marbles

Sally D