[Magdalen] Saturday Marches

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 23 08:52:59 UTC 2017

On 23/01/2017 05:05, sally.davies at gmail.com wrote:
> Totally with you here, Scott - I feel the same way. Words do have power of
> their own and are not fully ours to do as we please!

God spoke, and it was. We worship the Word made flesh. I remember from
childhood the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words
will never hurt me." as a defence when derided. That is not true - words
have power to hurt internally and that injury can last far longer than a
physical one. As for the use of expletives, they should be limited to
ejaculatory expressions in the appropriate circumstances not part of
normal speech. Their sparing use strengthens their significance.

Roger