[Magdalen] Shell-shocked

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 16:15:39 UTC 2017

I'm not always a big fan of our mayor, Rahm Emanuel--in many ways he's
been a disappointment--but I'm glad to see his pushback regarding
Sanctuary Cities:

The orders also called for cutting federal funding of sanctuary
cities, like Chicago, which protect illegal immigrants from
deportation. Mr Emanuel reacted almost immediately. “I want to be
clear: We’re gonna stay a sanctuary city. There is no stranger among
us. We welcome people—whether you’re from Poland or Pakistan, whether
you’re from Ireland or India or Israel and whether you’re from Mexico
or Moldova where my grandfather came from. You are welcome in Chicago
as you pursue the American dream,” he said at a news conference after
a city council meeting. Mr Emanuel is not alone in his defiance. The
mayors of Los Angeles, ...
<<

Trump's moves need to be met with strong statements like this at every
turn (and, of course, opposed with whatever legislative or judicial
pushback can be done). We need to get beyond the silence of
incredulity and say forcefully and repeatedly, in public fora, that we
oppose what he's doing and why. Glad to hear McCain's response on
waterboarding: "We are not going to bring back torture."

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA