[Magdalen] Where is the Episcopal Church?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 31 00:34:26 UTC 2017

On 30/01/2017 20:06, Scott Knitter wrote:
> Someone from Germany in a German-language online news discussion asked
> what happened to the USA's system of checks and balances that is meant
> to prevent a tyrannical rule by the president. I had no answer and
> could say only that I had the same question. It seems the time has
> come for legislators to take whatever actions they can. At least the
> courts have already been used with some limited success and more
> lawsuits are being brought.

I note also that it is reported that the acting Attorney General (Sally
Yates) has ordered lawyers not to defend the Executive Order. Admittedly
she is still in office because President Trump's nominee has not yet
been confirmed in office but will Jeff Sessions, who already has the
distinction of having been denied a role as a federal judge because of
allegations of racism, want his first act (if confirmed) to be to defend
an Order that is on the face of it racist and arguably unconstitutional?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2017/jan/30/trump-travel-ban-executive-order-world-protests-live
or http://bit.ly/2kjVKxp

In normal times (and I know we are not in normal times) the most
effective way to change government intentions is to lobby behind closed
doors before anything is announced. Given that the Executive Order has
already been published, and apparently revised in the light of foreign
protests, that is not an option. I also hear that a number of State
Department Career diplomats are apparently planning to send a cable
through the dissent channel about this Order. They would point out that
it would possibly be counter-productive to its declared aim alienate a
number of other states which are natural allies of the USA.

Presiding Bishop Curry's comments seem to me to be calling President
Trump to reconsider his action at the same time as individuals around
the world are demonstrating against this Executive Order and its effect.
I know the President wants to demonstrate to his base that he will
deliver on his campaign promises but what we have seen over the weekend
is that his previous style cannot do that. He needs to listen to
informed advice which, sadly he seems unwilling to do at present
(witness changes in the make-ip of the National Security Council).

Roger