[Magdalen] Worship

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 16:52:08 UTC 2017

____________________________________
 From: Cantor03 at aol.com
To: cantor03 at aol.com
Sent: 7/3/2017 12:50:28 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Worship

A new issue of the monthly of the Benedictines at Collegeville, MN,
"Worship,"
has a bevy of interesting articles,

I didn't realize that the Latin of the first translation from the Greek
was an
educated, high class Latin which would not have been easily grasped  by
the average Roman at the time (about 400 AD).  The current  Roman
liturgical retranslation is an unfortunate attempt at literal duplication
of the
baseline Latin Rite.

In any case, the eloquent Latin of the Tridentine precursors was  that
Liturgy that Cranmer remodeled, and so it bears that eloquence
combined with Cramer's own personal English language style  eloquence
producing what my confirmation teacher called "a style of  intoxicating
beauty," but like the Latin precedents, a little hard to grasp at  times.

Still.....the Cranmerian Liturgy can be good for the soul even if  every
phrase is not transparent.  The English language history that I  took
on line some years ago lists the influence of the 1662 BCP and
other Cranmerian adaptations to be only after the KJV Holy Bible
in importance in shaping the modern English language.

David S.