[Magdalen] Full Communion with the USA Methodists?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 9 20:27:57 UTC 2017

On 09/07/2017 17:59, Susan Hagen wrote:
> Thank you for posting that David.  I read the part about the
> understanding of the Eucharist and don't see that it differs
> materially from Anglican teaching.  Interesting.

A major difference in my view is the understanding of episcopacy and of
orders in general. Anglican teaching is that once ordained to a
particular order then that order is retained for life. Even when retired
a bishop can be asked by the Ordinary of the Diocese to preside at
ordinations and confirmations. In many cases they are licensed as
Honorary Assistant Bishops in one or more dioceses to show they have
that authority. This side of the pond Methodists don't have bishops but
mu understanding is that in the UMC a person is a bishop so long ass
they hold a particular post and relinquish that title when they
relinquish the post.

Over here the possibility of entering into full communion with the
Methodists is again being considered. (I recall that when I left the
Methodist Church for the Church of England in 1964 my then minister
observed that I was going where they would soon follow.) Part of the
workround about personal episcopacy suggested in the latest report
"Mission and Ministry in Covenant" (does the title sound familiar?) a
week or two ago http://tinyurl.com/ya9x7fh5 is to regard the successive
Presidents of the Methodist Conference embodying in a personal sense the
/episkope/ of the Conference. (It should be noted that the Bishop of
Fulham referenced in this report as co-chair of the working party is one
of the traditionalist bishops licensed to minister to parishes that
refuse to accept the validity of the priestly or episcopal ordination of
women.)

This makes sense to me as the continuing corporate /episkope/ has been
recognized in regard to the Lutheran Churches covered by the Porvoo
Agreement. Additionally although presbyters are welcomed into full
connexion by the Conference their ordination later that day is presided
over by the present or a former President of Conference. The passing of
this personal authority from one President to the next is symbolised by
the handing over of John Wesley's Bible - not exactly the imposition of
hands but still a tactile act.

Roger