[Magdalen] home from Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 21:59:40 UTC 2017

Imagine the Palmer House filled with (mainly) men in various configurations
of leather outfits, from elaborate to quite minimalist, and you're
imagining IML, Mr Leather International, an annual gathering over Memorial
Day weekend. Someone urged me to check it out one year, and I was amazed
and amused, although the leather community is not something I'm a member
of. Pity the poor innocent folks who walk into the lobby for a look at the
ornate ceiling! Escalators packed with leather-clad men, the main floor
packed with leather-clad men, bars and restaurants all packed with
leather-clad men...bare torsos and the occasional bum on display. They used
to alternate years between the Palmer House and the Hyatt Regency, but
lately I think they've been at the huge (but rough-around-the-edges)
Congress Plaza. I did go to the IML at the Hyatt one year in a black kilt
and black t-shirt (the belt being my only leather garment) but still felt
like an outsider. A unique experience, especially the exhibit area (Scott
fans himself furiously), which one must sign a waiver and pay a fee in
order to enter. Rather mind-expanding, I must say. Not in a bad way, but I
also didn't feel pulled into the community. Me and my sheltered Midwestern
upbringing! We do have the Leather Archive & Museum up here, just down the
street, in a former synagogue, a block from two leather bars and a leather
B&B.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA