[Magdalen] Full Communion with the USA Methodists?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 14 00:09:00 UTC 2017

On 13/07/2017 20:05, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Unless there is only about one swallow left, I have never consumed the
> leftover wine. I leave that to others or to the altar guild's pouring it on
> the ground or down the piscina (sp?) if there is one. I was horrified at
> one church where I supplied to discover that they were pouring it back into
> the bottle. The leftover wine in the chalice, I mean--not the cruet.
The wine in the cruet is unconsecrated and untouched by human lips so
can go back. That which is in the chalice has been touched by human lips
and to recant that is unhygienic leaving aside any considerations of
recanting consecrated wine. My worst experience of over-consecration was
about 40 years ago when I was supplying while the Vicar and some of the
congregation were attending the priestly ordination of their Curate.
Somebody else had charged the chalices and when we returned to the altar
after the administration the Reader who had been administering the
chalice placed a chalice with about a mouthful in it back on the altar.
I did not realise that the other chalice was untouched and full of
consecrated wine. The effect did not hit me as I drove back to my home
church but it did after the next service there.

Roger