[Magdalen] Jury Duty Anyone?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:43:19 UTC 2017

This reminds me of a movement, to some extent underground, I suspect, of
people who resolve that, no matter what, they will not bring a guilty
verdict against a defendant of color.

I'm sure some might think this is unfair, and of course it is.  Perhaps not
nearly as unfair as our status quo in criminal justice practice in which it
has been repeatedly documented that persons of color go to jail when
persons who are white get off, for a whole laundry list of reasons, from
simply not being arrested to begin with to being sentenced when a more
respectable person (i.e., white) gets community service or probation.

When I taught classes at Greenhaven, our local maximum security prison, I
often felt like I was a visitor at Greenhaven Prison for African-American
Offenders. I had continual experiences where I was the only white face to
seen, aside from the guards, of course, who were almost all white.

The United States has the highest number of incarcerated persons per capita
of any country on earth, and we had this distinction while the USSR was
running its gulags full-bore.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford