[Magdalen] Christmas musings...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 02:27:18 UTC 2017

In a message dated 7/24/2017 5:38:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I  thought Christmas Eve would not begin until sundown, in the classic
Jewish  sense. Silly me!

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Simon Kershaw  <simon at kershaw.org.uk>
wrote:

> The "classic" answer is that  it's Advent 4 until 12 noon, and Christmas
> Eve after 12  noon.
>
> So morning services should be Advent 4 and the afternoon  services for
> Christmas Eve.

I don't know whether any of the Proper plainchants and texts would be  any
use to you in a parish using the Novus Ordo ("Ordinary From of the RC
Rite"),
but they are there in either the Graduale Romanum or the Liber  Usualis.

This is the only feast day with four traditional Mass Propers, one  for
each of the following:

Christmas Day
_Vigil  Mass_
(http://www.liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/roman_missal/christmasmass.htm#vigilmass)
_Mass  at Night_
(http://www.liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/roman_missal/christmasmass.htm#massatnight)
_Mass  at Dawn_
(http://www.liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/roman_missal/christmasmass.htm#massatdawn)
_Mass  During the Day_
(http://www.liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/roman_missal/christmasmass.htm#massday)

The first two listed are afternoon of 24th for the  Vigil Mass, and then the
Midnight Mass.  There is the Mass at Dawn of  the 25th, but these Propers
are rarely used out of a monastic setting, and then,  of course, the Mass
during the Day (25th).

David S.